Q: What can I do to aid in the investigation of my Vancouver truck accident?
You have no doubt made big assumptions about the cause of your recent Vancouver truck accident.
Your intuition may be spot on—or way off.
Here is the truth: when it comes to accident forensics, first impressions often wildly miss the mark. For instance, right now, you may blame a negligent truck driver for running you off the road into the gravel shoulder. However, the true culprit might have been a shift in the truck’s cargo. Perhaps the shift in momentum forced the trucker to pivot, and that is why he ran you off the road. In this case, the person or entity responsible for loading the cargo would be at fault for your Vancouver truck accident.
What can you do, right now, to maximize your chances for the most accurate investigation? Here are a few tips:
- If the Vancouver truck accident happened recently, document the scene. Take pictures. Talk to witnesses. Make sure to get a copy of the police report. Write down your experience in your own words. The more documentation, the better.
- Connect with a reputable Vancouver truck crash law firm, as soon as you can. An experienced law firm can hire accident reconstruction and forensic experts to explore your accident and identify what or who likely caused the crash and the injuries.
- Be deliberate, but get started. The longer you wait after the crash to seek legal counsel and to start an investigation, the harder it is going to be to identify the true culprits and to build an effective case.
- Avoid talking about your case, particularly to insurance adjusters or representatives of the trucking company. It is quite natural after an accident to wish for good outcomes. However, if you tell an ICBC representative, “I'm feeling much better today” or naively trust a trucking company or insurer to do the right thing, you could limit your legal options—and never actually find out the truth about your crash.
- Keep an open mind. You may be dead certain right now that the trucker’s careless actions caused your crisis. However, until investigators have done their work, you cannot know for sure. Trust in your experienced legal team to guide you and to look at possibilities that you might not have considered.
The team at McComb Witten urges you to download our free report, The Inside Secrets ICBC Doesn't Want You to Know, which can help you to understand your situation and your rights. We also invite you to call us now at 604-255-9018 to schedule a free and confidential consultation about your case.