Q: Ever since I was seriously injured in a Vancouver motorcycle accident, it is all I can think about. How can I do to overcome this obsession?
When clients first visit our Vancouver motorcycle accident law firm, they often tell us that they cannot stop thinking about what happened to them.
- Some clients obsess over their medical prognosis.
- Other clients replay their accidents endlessly—unable to focus on conversations with other people or on key tasks and errands.
- Still other clients are not consciously focused on the crash, but they are so filled with anxiety, rage, and other unpleasant emotions that they cannot function effectively.
So what can you do, if you are obsessed with your Vancouver motorcycle crash?
You might be tempted to try to “blast away” the unpleasant emotions. For instance, maybe your wife wants to talk to you about household finances. However, you are too preoccupied with your internal motorcycle accident-related monologue to pay attention to her. Hoping to preserve your relationship, you use “brute force” to tear your attention away from your inner suffering and talk with her. This brute force method can be successful in the short term, but it is not a long-term solution.
Instead, strive to understand the root causes of your feelings and then create an action plan to address them. Write down on a piece of paper the thing that is troubling you most right now regarding your Vancouver motorcycle crash. Then, ask yourself—on paper—why that thing is bothering you so much. Continue to drill down and find the reason behind the reason. Eventually, you will arrive at some statement that rings fundamentally true, such as:
- “I need reassurance that I'm going to recover my health after the crash.”
- “I need to resolve our stressful financial situation and know that I’ll be able to earn enough to keep the kids in school.”
Of course, you do not have to go deal with the aftermath of your crash alone. The team at McComb Witten is standing by to help you figure out effective next steps regarding your Vancouver motorcycle injury. Connect with us online, or call us at 604-255-9018 to set up a free, no obligation consultation. We also suggest that you download our free report, Your Family Doctor Could Make or Break Your ICBC Claim, and read it thoroughly.