What Should Your Vancouver Personal Injury Lawyer Do for You?
Thinking about hiring a personal injury lawyer to handle your ICBC injury claim?
Before you start talking to lawyers and determining which lawyer best meets you needs ask a KEY QUESTION.
What exactly should you expect from a personal injury lawyer??
Are there certain things you should be looking for??
HERE'S A LIST OF TASKS that a personal injury lawyer may be completing in your situation ( but remember - each case is different and as such not all of these tasks will be required in every case):
1. Have an inital conversation with you to get a good understanding of who you are and what your case is about:
2. Educate you about how ICBC injury claims work;
3. Let you know what your responsibilites are moving forward;
4. Let you know what you can expect your lawyer to do;
5. Handling all communications on your behalf with ICBC;
6. Gather documentary evidence such as police reports, medical records, wage loss information etc.;
7. Collect evidence relating to your accident such as photographs of where the accident scene;
8. Get witnesses to your accident interviewed;
9. Consider and analyze the legal issues such as negligence ( responsibility for your accident) and voluntary assumption of risk ( such as riding with an obviously drunk driver)
10. Request a medical- legal report from your family doctor;
11. Arrange for you to be examined by an independent medical specialist;
12. Stay in touch with you to make sure you know where your case is at;
13. Stay in touch with you in order to answer your questions and to make sure you are doing what's necessary to get properly compensated;
14. Discuss and advise you as to whether an attempt should be made to negotiate a settlement of your claim or whether a lawsuit should be filed on your behalf;
15. Provide the lawyers representing the Defendant ( ICBC's lawyers) with all the documents being relied upon in support of your claim;
16. Scheduling examinations for discovery and trial dates;
17. Preparing you to attend your examination for discovery and attending this proceeding with you;
18. Conducting an examination for discovery of the other driver(s) involved in your accident;
19. Prepare for trial and/or settlement of your case;
20. Prepare both you and your witnesses to testify at trial;
21. Organize the preparation of all exhibits which will be relied on at trial;
22. Consider a mediation of your case;
23. File and argue pre-trial motions;
24. Take your case to trial;
25. Meet with you to discuss any issue to be dealt with post-trial.
So there a run down on may of the types of things you can expect a personal injury lawyer to do if they're handling your ICBC injury claim.
Is there more to it? That really depends on the unique circumstances of your case.
Interested in discussing any of these task? Want to get more details concerning what you can expect?
Call me at 604-255-9018 or fire me off an e-mail at [email protected]
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "What Should Your Vancouver Personal Injury Lawyer Do for You?"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."