Jeffrey S. Witten, B.A., LL.B.
The immediate aftermath of a Vancouver pedestrian accident can be a gruesome, terrifying time, whether you got hurt or simply saw a loved one get injured.
Unfortunately, this time of disorientation is also the most crucial, legally speaking. During this time, evidence from the scene is fresh, as are witnesses' memories.
Some Vancouver pedestrian accident injuries are self-evident. Broken bones, lacerations, or massive bleeding merit an immediate trip to the hospital. Other types of damage, however, can be more insidious. Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), which are euphemistically called concussions, may be undetectable at the scene. If you hit your head directly, you might suspect a brain injury. However, any jolt or force against the body can damage sensitive tissues, like structures in the brain.
Such injuries can be quite dangerous, if they are ignored. However, if you can get someone with a fresh TBI into a good hospital quickly, doctors can perform amazing procedures to reduce swelling, prevent permanent damage, and even save a life.
Following is a checklist of operations you should do, or ask someone else to do, in the wake of a pedestrian injury:
- Get medical help immediately, particularly if the victim shows any signs of a brain injury, such as disorientation, vomiting, mental cloudiness, or obvious head wounds.
- Document the scene in as much detail as you can. Snap pictures with a cell phone camera, collect copies of the police report, and interview witnesses.
- Avoid talking to insurance representatives—particularly those representing the owners of the vehicle that hit you or caused the accident.
- Keep an ongoing journal of your experience, including conversations you have with doctors as well as details about your recovery.
- As soon as things calm down, call a trustworthy Vancouver pedestrian accident attorney to help you figure out your next steps and preserve your rights to obtain compensation.
- Download McComb Witten’s free report, Pedestrian Safety Manual – Don’t Cross the Street Until You’ve Read this Report!
For help with your case, call our Vancouver pedestrian accident lawyers now at 604-255-9018 to schedule a free case evaluation.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "The First 3 Hours After Your Vancouver Pedestrian Accident"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."