Involved in A Hit and Run Accident?
Where you hurt in a car accident where the other driver just has sped off?
You’re not alone.
The exact number - 49,000.
That’s a staggering figure!
And while the number of Hit and Run accidents is shocking, the potential cost of all these hit and runs is even more alarming.
Think about it.
Think about all the medical costs, lost wages and the cost of repairing the vehicles involved.
And that’s nothing compared to the human cost ( can’t put a price tag on that)
But here’s the thing, if you don’t know EXACTLY what to do immediately following a hit and run accident you could lose your right to compensation.
And your life could be changed forever.
Because if you’re hurt in a hit and run accident in British Columbia, what you do immediately following your accident will directly affect your ability to get compensated for your injuries.
In BC the law requires that a person take “all reasonable steps” to identify the vehicle and the driver of the vehicle that caused your accident.
So, if you don’t act fast and follow the proper process in the aftermath of your accident you could be left high and dry.
OK, what do you need to do?
The reality is that you’re going to have to do some legwork. Even if you’re not able to find the person and vehicle that’s responsible for hitting you, you’ve got to show that you’ve made all reasonable efforts to track them down.
What do those efforts look like?
Here are some of the things you absolutely should:
1. Call the police - Right away. And be sure to get a police file number. You'll need to provide that you actually called.
2. Find witnesses - If there are people around the accident scene get their names, address’ and telephone numbers
3. Canvas the area - If there are businesses, houses or other buildings near where the accident occurred, go bang on some doors. It's possible you may be able to drum up witnesses
4. Call ICBC - Right away and report your claim.
5. Flyer the area - Post signs at the scene of the accident asking that witnesses contact you. And take pictures of the signs so you can prove you actually posted them.
6. Go to the press - Run an ad in the classified section of your local newspaper looking for witnesses. And be sure to keep a copy of the ad. Once again, you'll need to prove you ran it.
If you’ve been injured in a Hit and Run accident check out my FREE special report http://www.mccombwitten.com/reports/he-slammed-into-my-car-and-took-off-what-should-i-do.cfm
It might just save you from taking a hit on your hit and run claim.
McComb Witten Personal Injury Lawyers
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Involved in A Hit And Run Accident? Know What to Do?"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."