Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 604.255.9018
McComb Witten Marcoux

B.C. University/College Students - Dealing with Your ICBC Injury Claim

Jeffrey S. Witten, B.A., LL.B.
Connect with me
Personal Injury Lawyer at McComb Witten Marcoux

Blog Category:
Comments (0)

Are you a student attending university or college  in B.C.?

Have you been hurt in a B.C. car accident?

If so, you might be:

having problems getting from one class to the next;

> experiencing difficulties sitting through lectures;

> finding that you can't sit through exams;

> encountering problems following what your professors are saying and taking notes at the same time;

> unable to carry your books around campus without significant pain.

And these may be just the tip of your own personal iceberg.

I think it goes without saying that these types of issues may be impacting your ability to study and get the type of GPA you're capable of.

So, is there anything that can be done to minimize the impact of these problems?

Are there FREE resources that you can access?

In short, YES!

You might not be aware that most universities and colleges in B.C. have what's called a "disability resource centre".

These disability resource centres are where students with injuries from a car accident  can go to access academic accomodations.

Theconcept underlying the creation of these disability  resource centres is that students who've been injured in a car accident should be provided with the assistance they need.

Here are some of the steps you need to take in order to qualify for accomodations through a campus resource centre:

> see your doctor and explain the difficulties you're experiencing with your studies;

> let your doctor know that your university/college has a service that can provide accomodations to students ( e.g. assistance with note taking; extra time for exams; someone to help carry books from class to class);

> ask your doctor for a note which you can take to your campus disability resource centre to apply for academic accomodation(s);

> take your doctors note to your campus resource office.

Want to find out more about how to access academic accomodations at your university/college?

Check out these links:

UBC - http://www.students.ubc.ca/access/disability-services/portfolio/policy-73/

SFU -  http://www.sfu.ca/students/disabilityaccess.html

Langara - http://www.langara.bc.ca/student-services/disability-services/

Kwantlen - http://www.kwantlen.ca/ssd.html

Douglas - http://www.douglas.bc.ca/services/centre-for-disabilities.html

Interested in exploring the relationship between your studies and your ICBC injury claim in more depth?

Want to find out how changes in your academic performance may impact your rights to compensation?

Give me a call at 604-255-9018 or drop me a line at [email protected]

Jeff Witten





Category: Car Accidents


There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "B.C. University/College Students - Dealing with Your ICBC Injury Claim"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.