Your Vancouver car accident was substantial.
To recover, you may need therapy, rehabilitation, and substantial medical treatments. The injury may even force you to miss months of work. To protect your rights to obtain compensation, try to collect evidence, such as witness statements, as soon as possible after the crash. Here are three good strategies to use:
1. Use a cell phone to record conversations with witnesses after the Vancouver car crash.
Points to review about this strategy:
- Ask the witness for permission before you record him or her.
- Accident victims may lack the clarity of mind to write, but are often able to provide a complete and coherent oral account of what they saw and heard.
- A verbal record may be more accurate than testimony remembered days or weeks later.
2. If you are too hurt, ask a passenger or other witness to take statements for you.
Your first priority after a crash should be to manage your emergency medical needs. If you lack the stamina, ask someone you trust to collect witness statements for you.
3. Remember the mantra: “Half a loaf is better than none.”
Ideally, you would like to interview every witness who participated in—or even glancingly witnessed—your Vancouver car accident. However, we do not live in an ideal world:
- It might already be hours or days since your crash.
- You might only be able to find and talk to one witness.
- Some people who saw the crash may not want to say anything on record. They may even substantially disagree with your version of events.
Do not worry about these setbacks. Instead, focus on taking action to get as much potentially usable evidence as possible. Your Vancouver car crash attorney can help you sort it all out later.
Call McComb Witten today at 604-255-9018 to schedule your free consultation with our legal team. You may also wish to find out more about what you can or should be doing to advocate for your rights by downloading our free guide, I've Been in a Car Accident: What Should I Do?
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "3 Ways to Collect Witness Accounts After a Vancouver Car Accident"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."